University of the Witwatersrand: A Premier Institution of Higher Education in South Africa
The University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) is a public research university located in Johannesburg, South Africa. Established in 1896, Wits is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in South Africa. The university offers undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate programs in various fields of study, including arts, humanities, social sciences, engineering, and health sciences.
If you’re planning to apply for admission to Wits in 2023-2024, here’s what you need to know:
The eligibility criteria vary for different programs. However, in general, applicants must have a minimum of 60% marks in their secondary school certificate or equivalent qualification. They must also meet specific program requirements, such as prerequisite subjects or standardized test scores.
The application process for Wits typically starts in March and ends in August. You can apply online through the Wits website or in person at the Admissions Office. The application fee is ZAR 100 for South African applicants and ZAR 900 for international applicants.
You will need to provide various documents as part of your application, such as academic transcripts, standardized test scores, passports, and personal statements.
Some programs may require applicants to take standardized tests such as SAT, ACT, GRE, or GMAT. Make sure to check the specific program requirements.
Wits prepares a merit list based on the applicant’s academic performance, test scores, and other relevant factors. The merit list is published on the Wits website.
- Wits offers a variety of scholarships to eligible students. Some of the scholarships available for the academic year 2023-2024 are:
- This scholarship covers tuition fees, accommodation, and a living allowance for undergraduate students who have outstanding academic performance and leadership qualities.
Wits-TUB-UNILAG Urban Lab Scholarship:
- This scholarship covers tuition fees and a living allowance for postgraduate students who are enrolled in the Urban Studies program and are from African countries.
NRF-TWAS Doctoral Scholarship:
- This scholarship covers tuition fees, accommodation, and a living allowance for doctoral students who are citizens or permanent residents of African countries and are pursuing research in science, engineering, or technology.
- Note that the scholarship eligibility criteria and application process vary for different scholarships. Make sure to check the specific scholarship requirements and deadlines.
- The University of the Witwatersrand is a premier institution of higher education in South Africa that offers quality education and research facilities. If you’re interested in pursuing a career in arts, humanities, social sciences, engineering, or health sciences, Wits could be the right choice for you. Also, make sure to explore the scholarship opportunities available at Wits and apply for the ones that you are eligible for. Good luck with your application!