My name is Sam and I am a final year student at Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL) in Switzerland. I have been living in Lausanne for over 3 years now. Having grown up near Bern in the German-speaking part of Switzerland, it still sometimes feels like living abroad because of Switzerland’s multilingual and cultural diversity.
I love having new experiences, meeting new people and immersing myself in unfamiliar cultures. Before starting my bachelor studies, I spent (typically Swiss) years working for a bank. After this valuable professional experience, I began looking for a program that would allow me to combine my love for travel with my passion for the service industry to begin an international career.
- Many universities offer amazing programs, both nationally and internationally. However, during my research, EHL quickly stood out. The university offers a very comprehensive program that combines the practical skills required in industry with an outstanding academic curriculum.
- My internship abroad made it possible to put into practice what I had learned in the classroom. This valuable experience in a real business environment enhanced my understanding of our course content. First, I was surprised to learn that almost half of EHL graduates choose a career path outside of hospitality.
- The transferable skills you gain as a student in Lausanne also prepare you for careers in fields such as finance, consulting, marketing, luxury goods, and retail.
- I was very excited at the prospect of becoming part of the university’s alumni network. This unique network provides access to a pool of over 25,000 professionals based around the world. For example, during my internship in Belgium, I met a group of inspiring alumni at a networking event organized by the local Stam in Brussels.
- At an “Open Day”, I was impressed by the state-of-the-art infrastructure (now being expanded and modernized in a jaw-dropping project) and the numerous activities offered by various student committees.
- Another aspect that makes studying at EHL attractive is its internationality. Currently, enrolled students share an impressive 115 nationalities between them and in my first year, I had already made friends on five different continents.
- With this diversity and the opportunity to spend time abroad during internships and exchange semesters, EHL is truly a great place to prepare you for a career in today’s international business environment.
Switzerland is a beautiful, safe, and modern country in the very heart of Europe. It is not only home to some of the best universities worldwide but is also the domicile of choice for many international organizations and corporations. Its geographical location, political stability, and long history of diplomatic mediation are just some of the points that make the country so attractive.
Just this year, Switzerland was once again named the most innovative country on earth. The Swiss values of reliability, diversity, and precision create an ideal environment to start your career. In addition to its renowned educational institutions, Switzerland also offers beautiful natural scenery (like the famous Matterhorn mountain you all know from the Toblerone packaging), historic cities, and of course, amazing food.
Once you’ve tasted the cheese passion while watching the sunset over Lac Léman, there’s no other place you’ll spend the best three years of your life.